[Bcma-l] Langley Centennial Museum Celebrates 1958 Centennial
bcma-l@museumsassn.bc.ca
bcma-l@museumsassn.bc.ca
Mon, 28 Jan 2008 16:34:28 -0800
Momentous events occurred in 1858 when the Fraser River gold rush
resulted in the creation of the Crown Colony of British Columbia.
A century later, British Columbians celebrated these events. Now, on the
one hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the creation of the mainland
colony, the Langley Centennial Museum will be looking at how we
celebrated 1858 in 1958.
The Museum is creating an exhibit on the Crown Colony centennial and
wants to hear from people who participated in the 1958 celebrations and
who have morabilia and related memories of that year-long party.
Among the many events of interest are the 1958 visit of Princess
Margaret and other dignitaries to Langley, the commemoration of Simon
Fraser's visit to the Kwantlen territory one hundred and fifty years
earlier, the honouring of Langley pioneers, and of course the opening of
the Langley Centennial Museum itself on July 1st, 1958.
The new exhibit will portray some of the pride shown by Langley and BC
residents in their community's and province's history in 1958 and their
enthusiasm about the developments that had occurred in the intervening
one hundred years. Titled "Century Sam Meets a Princess: 1958
Remembered," the exhibit will run mid-March through Canada Day this
year.
One of the most visible characteristics of the 1958 celebrations was the
wearing of 1858 period costumes by participants in many of the
centennial events. The Museum is interested in seeing any men's and
women's costumes worn at 1958 centennial events and possibly borrowing
them for display.
One of the artifacts that has come to light already is a representation
of the gold rush miner-inspired character, "Century Sam," the 1958
centennial's official mascot. A plywood placard showing this figure was
made by Loretta and John "JJ" Hodgekinson to plant on their lawn during
the celebrations.
Other 1958 centennial-related artifacts, photographs, documents, and
stories are all of interest. Please contact Museum curator Paul Thistle
at (604) 888-3922 or pthistle@tol.bc.ca if you can help.
The Langley Centennial Museum & National Exhibition Centre was
inaugurated on July 1st, 1958 as one of the community's centennial
projects. Fifty years later, the Museum is a Township of Langley
facility that remains committed to its mission connecting and involving
citizens with their cultural heritage.
Located at 9135 King Street at Mavis in Fort Langley, the Museum is open
Mondays through Saturdays from 10:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. and Sundays from
1:00 to 4:45 p.m. The current feature exhibition is "From Dior to
Ducktails: Men's and Women's Clothing From the 1950s."